Welcome to LinuxPAE64 project. It is a linux port for x86-64 bit processor machines for running 32 bit device driver and 64 bit applications at the same time.
It works by running the processor in long mode and kernel code in compatibility mode. The interface between applications and kernel is same as 64 bit kernel. After receiving system call parameters and saving register context it calls into kernel using 64-bit to 32-bit stub.
Thanks for your interest in LinuxPAE64 project.
Running 64 bit applications in a 32 bit kernel using 32 bit device drivers and ....
Benefits of using LinuxPAE64 over 64 bit kernel
- No device driver compatibility issues.
- Can be installed in an existing 32 bit system.
- Runs all 32 bit and 64 bit applications.
- Runs 64 applications in 3GB address space so pointers are 32 bit. Applications can use this property to reduce memory required for storing pointers to avoid pagging and speed up the application.
- Will support PER_LINUX_32BIT personality type to allow 64 bit applications to declare that they can't handle addresses above 32 bit, when address range for 64 bit applications running on LinuxPAE64 is increased to 48-bit.
- Will support PER_LINUX_64GB personality type to allow 64 bit applications to declare that they can't handle addresses above 64GB, to allow 64 bit applications to keep pointers 16 byte aligned and use 4 bytes for storing pointers to reduce memory usage and speed up the application by reducing paging.
- Mounts SATA hard disk
- Supports USB keyboard
- Supports 32 bit loadable modules
- Supports dynamically linked x86-64 executables
For any information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org